• February 1, 2023

Oscar De La Hoya, 48, says he plans boxing comeback in July

Oscar de la Hoya’s last fight was an eight round loss to Manny Pacquiao (right) of the Philippines in 2008

Former world champion Oscar de la Hoya says he will make his boxing comeback in July – 13 years after his retirement.

The 48-year-old has held 11 titles in six weight classes in his 16-year career and is considered one of the greatest pound-for-pound fighters.

His last fight was a loss to Manny Pacquiao in 2008.

At an event promoting Jake Paul’s fight with Ben Askren in April, De La Hoya took the stage and proclaimed, “I’m making a comeback in combat on July 3rd.”

Then he dropped his microphone and left the stage.

The American YouTube star Paul will fight the former UFC fighter Askren in the US city of Atlanta on April 17th.

Earlier this week De La Hoya told DAZNexternal link He’s been in training for a while. He also referred to the recent comeback of former world heavyweight champion Mike Tyson at the age of 54.

Tyson attended in an exhibition fight against 51-year-old Roy Jones Jr. in November.

“Mike Tyson gave me the hell inspiration,” said De La Hoya.

It is not yet known who De La Hoya will face, but he has previously suggested that a match-up with another great American boxer, Floyd Mayweather, would be “massive”.

De La Hoya has been closely associated with boxing since he founded Golden Boy Promotions in 2002.

All about the BBC iPlayer bannerAround the BBC iPlayer footer

Jack

Read Previous

On The Trail of Italy’s Iconic Parmigiano Reggiano

Read Next

Charli Collier of Texas Honors Her Lost Father With Resilience

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *