Trent Alexander-Arnold (left) and Naby Keita both started in the quarter-finals of the Champions League against Real Madrid on Tuesday
Liverpool say racial abuse on social media “must not continue” after targeting Trent Alexander-Arnold and Naby Keita.
Both had received racist emojis on Instagram ahead of the Champions League game against Real Madrid on Tuesday.
The Premier League Club said it will work with the relevant authorities to try to identify and prosecute offenders.
However, Liverpool added that “it will not be enough to take the greatest possible preventive measures”.
In a statement, the club condemned the abuse as “completely unacceptable”.
“Unfortunately, the morning after a soccer game we are again discussing hideous racial abuse,” they said after the Champions League quarter-final first leg on Tuesday evening Losing to Real Madrid.
“As a club, we offer our players all the support they need.
“The current situation cannot continue and we all need to make sure that it does not.”
Former Arsenal and France striker Thierry Henry pulled out of all social media last week for racism and bullying across all platforms.
In an interview with the BBC program Newsnight, the 43-year-old said “enough was enough” and that he had to stand up against racism on social media.
On Tuesday, Brentford striker Ivan Toney was also racially abused on Instagram.
The championship club called the abuse “spineless”.
The UK government has previously threatened social media companies with “high fines” This could run into “billions of pounds” if they don’t tackle abuse on their platforms.
Facebook, which owns Instagram, said that in February Tougher measures would be taken address the problem.